ZAMBIA INSTITUTE FOR POLICY ANALYSIS AND RESEARCH
The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is the leading think tank in Zambia, with a distinctly international character. The think tank provides an environment for creative thinking and conducting policy analysis and research, promotes dialogue and advocacy and delivers capacity building and training. Overtime, the Institute has grown to become a critical reference in the social and economic policy discourse in Zambia.
To support the Executive Director to effectively engage with stakeholders to promote evidence-based policies in a sustainable manner, ZIPAR seeks a dynamic and experienced person to fill the position of Accountant.
|The Accountant is responsible for the monitoring and reconciliation of ledger and donor accounts.
He/She will also be responsible for ensuring that all office transactions are posted in Pastel and that all financial obligations are discharged within reasonable time.
- On time returns remittance and payment of Statutory obligations PAYE,NAPSA, NHI, Registrar of Societies and WHT when applicable
- Monthly payroll preparation & salaries control account reconciliation
- Generate Project specific profitability statements reports
- Prepare donor funds reports as per agreements
- Accrue Business Development Unit (BDU) invoices in compliance with IFRS 15
- Maintain a register for accountable documents
- Update the Fixed Asset Register (FAR) on a monthly basis
- Daily verification and posting of all opentransactions to relevant accounting codes to facilitate financial reporting and reconciliation
- Checking monthly bank reconciliations
- Monthly Payables and receivables reconciliations
- Process monthly re-curring monthly journals I.e., Gratuity, depreciations, staff loans amortization, release of deferred income
- Carry out petty cash spot checks and quarterly stock take
- Provide oversight for financial operations in the absence of Finance and Administration Manager
| External Audit
- Provide IFRS and IAS accounting treatments explanations if necessary
- Provide documentations and schedules when requested for by auditors.
- Implementation of auditors recommendations
- Prepare minutes of the Procurement Committee
|Building of Relationships & Networking
- Maintaining an open communication with relevant stakeholders such as Bank and Supplier of goods and services
- Continuously support, mentor and train the Accounts Assistant.
- Facilitate career guidance conversations to the Accounts Assistant.
- Provide training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding generally accepted accounting and financial procedures and internal controls.
1. Essential Qualifications
- Grade 12 Certificate or equivalent.
- BS in Accounting and Finance or equivalent. Fully qualified Professional Chartered Accountant with a recognisable accounting body such as Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or equivalent is an added advantage.
2. Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or equivalent is an added advantage.
- Must be a registered and paid-up member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
1. Required/Must Experience
- At least 9 years’ work experience in Accounting and Finance as an Accountant or higher is a must
- Cost centre / project accounting experience is a must
- Multiple related accounting company databases experience is a must
- Pastel Sage accounting experience with GL, voucher management, AP, AR, Fixed Asset register modules experience is a must
- Micro payroll experience is a must
- Experience with GRZ, UN agency systems, USAID, EU, USAID, FCDO accounting rules is a must
2. Preferred Experience
- Knowledge of grant funds management.
- Management Accounts report preparation
- In-depth knowledge of Accounting Standards – International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and Public Financial Management Act of 2018.
- Intermediate or better with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Power point presentation
- Decision making – demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity in decision making whilst balancing speed vs. thorough approach.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong oral, report writing and presentation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and team-working skills and the ability to communicate at all levels.
- The ability to work in a pressured and unstructured environment and to cope with the demands of tight deadlines.
- Adaptability – adapts quickly to change and copes well with complexity.
- Integrity – consistent, trustworthy, fair and uses facts.
- Strong leadership skills; particularly in dealing with highly skilled professionals.
- Excellent computational skills.
- Good understanding of Zambian Labour Laws.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications, electronically, with supporting documentation all in a single attachment to email@example.com:
The applications should be clearly marked with job title and applicant’s name as the subject of the email and should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
P.O. Box 50782
ZIPAR is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
9th June, 2023